Should I Get A Furnace And AC Tune Up At The Same Time?
Everyone loves saving time and money, and sometimes people think getting a heating and cooling tune up at the same time will do that. The truth is, you really should have each of them done separately, at the appropriate times of year, especially in an area like ours. Havertown, PA sees every season, and you should address each individually.
When we are servicing an air conditioning system, it should be in the spring/summer when we can turn it on and test it out. The same applies to servicing a heating system in the fall/winter. If the weather isn’t conducive, we won’t be able to perform your HVAC tune up appropriately
I have been performing furnace and AC tune ups for years, and I know about the importance of each. I want to tell you a little more about why each should be done in their respective season, and why they are so important!
Heating Tune Up in the Fall
A heating unit tune up should be scheduled and performed in the fall. It ensures your furnace is ready for the colder weather. You wouldn’t drive your car for years without a regular service right? Well the same applies to your heating and AC system.
When you schedule an HVAC heating tune up, you will:
- Boost Energy Efficiency: Proper cleaning and adjustments can prevent energy waste.
- Improve Safety: Technicians can detect and fix potential gas leaks or carbon monoxide issues.
- Increase Lifespan: A furnace that undergoes regular heating unit tune ups often outlasts those that don’t. This system should last for 15+ years with regular service.
AC Tune Up in the Spring
Just as we mentioned for furnace tunes ups in the winter and fall, your AC tune up should be done in the spring or the summer. Prepping your air conditioner for summer can:
- Prevent Unexpected Breakdowns: Early detection of issues can avoid bigger problems in peak summer months. We can replace any parts during your service that may give out on you in the summer heat.
- Enhance Air Quality: Cleaning or replacing filters will prevent pollen, dust, and other airborne allergens from circulating in your home.
- Boost Cooling Efficiency: An efficient AC uses less energy, leading to reduced utility bills, and better comfort. This also helps ease the job on your AC system, helping it last longer.
- Increased Lifespan: An AC service will also help lengthen the lifespan of your air conditioning system. Just like a furnace, your AC should last 15+ years if it is well maintained.
Is An HVAC Tune Up the Same As Maintenance?
HVAC tune ups and maintenance are very similar. A tune up focuses on cleaning, checking, and minor adjustments. Maintenance, however, can involve more extensive work, including parts replacements and major fixes. It’s the difference between ensuring everything is running smoothly (tune up) and fixing bigger underlying issues (maintenance).
Make sure that you know what you are signing up for when you schedule a service.
Checklist: What To Expect With An AC Or Heater Tune Up
Whether it’s a heater tune up or an AC tune up, here’s a brief checklist of what you can expect:
- Inspection of Components: This includes checking belts, motors, fans, and electrical connections.
- Cleaning: From evaporator coils to burners, technicians ensure all components are free from dirt and obstructions.
- Lubrication: All moving parts are adequately lubricated to reduce wear and tear.
- Checking Refrigerant Levels: For AC units, refrigerant levels are tested and topped off if necessary.
- Air Filter Replacement: A new filter can drastically improve both heating and air tune up outcomes by ensuring optimal airflow and air quality.
- Thermostat Calibration: Ensuring your thermostat reads and responds correctly can lead to better energy use, and more precise temperatures.
Is a furnace tune-up worth it?
Absolutely. Regular furnace and AC tune ups can improve energy efficiency, reduce breakdowns and needed repairs, and also extend the lifespan of your unit. Instead of viewing this as a cost, it’s a small investment to save in the long run.
How often should a furnace be tuned up?
We recommend you tune up your furnace once a year. Regularly scheduling a yearly heating and air tune up ensures any minor issues are caught before they escalate, and also keep your home as comfortable as possible.
What month is best for an AC tune up?
It’s ideal to get an AC and heating tune up in the spring, just before the intense summer heat kicks in. This ensures your unit is in top shape to cool your home efficiently throughout the season. We recommend April or May.
While the idea of a combined furnace and AC tune up might seem convenient, it’s not the best way to keep your HVAC systems in the best condition. By tuning up each unit in its respective season, you’re setting your heating and cooling systems up for success for years to come! Heater maintenance in Ardmore, PA.
Call John Cipollone, Inc. at (610) 446-7877 to speak with your trusted heater maintenance in Ardmore, PA.